At the close of the Civil War, there were a number of prominent and influential German born Masons residing in Camden, their membership being in various lodges located in Camden and Philadelphia. These brethren realized the importance of establishing a German speaking lodge in Camden, and accordingly on March 1, 1871, the first meeting was held at the residence of Brother Frederick P. Pfeiffer (member of Ionic Lodge No. 94), at 427 Benson Street, Camden, New Jersey.
Those present at the first meeting were:
Brother Frederick P. Pfeiffer ………. Ionic No. 94, Temporary Chairman
Brother Charles H. Riceman …….. Hermann No 125, Temporary Secretary
Brother August Riceman …….. Hermann No. 125
Brother George Goetz Hermann No. 125
Brother Solomon Seybold ……… Hermann No. 125
Brother George Sensfelder ….. Montgomery No. 19
Brother Gustav Grossman …… Camden No. 15
Being satisfied with the work of the first meeting, the brethren decided to meet every week until there were enough brethren interested to form a German speaking lodge. After eight meetings, they arranged for a meeting to be held on April 29, 1871, in Ionic Hall, Fourth and Market Streets, Camden, N.J. A request was made to the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge to grant a dispensation for exemplification of the three degrees of Ancient Craft Masonry. The exemplification being entirely satisfactory to R.W. John W. Rogers, D.D.G.M., the brethren of Camden and Ionic Lodges, a petition bearing recommendation was sent to the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge for dispensation to form a German speaking lodge in Camden, N.J.
On May 17, 1871, an emergent communication was held in Central Hall, Fourth and Arch Streets, Camden, N.J., to receive the dispensation granted by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge to constitute Mozart Lodge, No. 121.